Monday, May 1, 2017

Ferraria Week 8

So sorry about last week. We had to go to the hospital and didn't get to email until Tuesday morning, but we only had time to do our letter to president then the power went out, and we so couldn't email. We went to the hospital because I got an ingrown toenail. I did things to help with it but it wasn't getting fully better so we went to the hospital, and they told me not to wear shoes.

I am typing this on a member's phone because it is a holiday here so ALL the internet places are closed. We normally email from a LAN house which is where you can pay to use the internet. 

Also for the last week I have been using crocs that I bought because I was not allowed to use shoes for a week to let my foot dry. I will send some pictures next week. I bought the crocs because for one day I was using my flip flop and a normal shoe, but it hurt the rest of my body when I walked. I think it is better now.

So first off I will answer what I remember about some of the questions. It is hard because I am writing this on a phone.

I did get the package (thank you mom!) I really enjoyed all the things that you sent in it.  

First off my new companion and padrasto (stepfather) Elder Armenta. So last time when I said that he speaks English that was an understatement. He is 99% fluent. He was born in Mexico City but lives in Chihuahua. His stake is basically a Utah stake in Mexico so he went to a church school, and the temple is closer to his house than ours is to ours. One ward in his stake is of Americans, and so he learned English very well. He didn't know Portuguese before the mission, and so he is more comfortable speaking in English than Portuguese. So it hasn't been the best week for speaking only Portuguese. He has one month more than me in the mission, but his estimated date for going home is the same as mine. At the zone conference we talked with someone that said that they think we will both go home somewhere around December 24 so before Christmas. He plans on going to BYU-I after his mission so we might room together. We get along great. He is like me where it is hard to talk with people, but he doesn't talk a lot when he gets comfortable like I do. It has been hard to not slack off a little bit when it gets dark. We are trying to stay focused, and do everything right but because both of us don't have a lot of time it is hard. We are really focusing on trying to be obedient in all the mission rules. Having him as my companion is pushing me to be obedient and follow the schedule as much as possible. We are learning together how to do everything.

I would like to also retract any restriction on food I have said. Anything that is from home is welcome. Especially candy. I don't buy candy here very often, and generally it is chocolate. But not peanut butter chocolate, they don't really have that here. So just any candy or food is welcome. Thank you so much for the packages you already sent! I appreciate them a lot. Also I love getting letters from you all. I loved the letter Anna sent, and that is awesome that she, and Jeffrey are learning Portuguese. I will try to send some letters soon. It is really busy on p-days sometimes or I don't have the materials to write letters, but I am in the process of writing some. Also I would like to say that both me and Elder R Santos love the Legos that you sent in my birthday package. 

So on p days other than email we do laundry in our house, shop, generally after email at a big super market they have. It is funny because only the small ones have vanilla extract. Apparently it is not a common thing here. Then we take a bus home. With Elder R Santos we would then play war (a knock off version of risk) with one of the recent converts here until we had less than an hour left, then go home, and finish the other things that we need to do. Right now I I think I will be writing letters, sleeping, and making something cookies or coffee cake, and just resting in general. We also might explore the stores here which I never did with Elder R Santos. 
  
I have felt the spirit so much this week, and I have learned a lot. Sorry that I didn't talk about my week as much, and sorry that I didn't send any pictures. I will send a lot next week. I am excited for Mother's Day, and I am so grateful for your support in my life. Thank you all for being great people, missionaries, and/or future missionaries. It has already been great to be able to serve the Lord here in Brazil, and I have learned so much. 

Elder Pettingill

No comments:

Post a Comment